Chapter 30: Guitar Heaven




After delicious beef and vegetable fajitas, they spent the afternoon in the studio. Julianna couldn’t believe she was actually going to be singing and playing – for real – with Bon Jovi! This was a totally different experience than the jam session they had with her brothers. The air wasn’t as light. Everyone was very serious, and they would run through the same 16 or 20 measures over and over again, until Jon was satisfied. He had the music spread out on Julianna’s desk, and was making small changes and notations as they worked.

So far, Julianna wasn’t doing much of anything; just listening and learning. Jon wanted her to show them, to play for them, the sections of the music he noted earlier that day. Nodding, she went to the back of the room, and opened the door to her guitar “closet” just enough to slip through.

This was one of her favorite rooms ever. Racks lined two of the walls, filled with all sorts of guitars. One wall held dozens of varieties of electric guitars, from Les Paul, Fender (both Strats and Teles), Ibanez, and Jay Turser. She had some vintage guitars, her pride and joy being a ’62 Fender Jaguar. She even had one of the violet Sambora signature Kramers from the late 80’s. The rack with her acoustics held guitars in different colors and woods from Martin, Fender, Gretsch, and Taylor, among others. She had 6-strings, 12-strings, one double-neck that she was still learning to work with, and some beautiful guitars from Italy and Spain. A few, her brother Nicky had made for her.

One wall held several different amps, and bins with strings, different kinds of picks, straps, slides, cables, and pickups. There was one long, low table covered with various tools, and what looked like a guitar in progress.

Julianna pulled her favorite ice blue Strat from the racks, and grabbed an old Gibson for the other part she knew Jon was going to want to hear. Turning to leave the room, for although she called it her closet, it was nearly as big as her library; she was surprised to see Richie standing there, shock on his face.

“Are these all yours?” he asked; his voice full of awe. He took in the racks of axes, the guitar-building table, the amps, all of it.

“Mostly,” she answered, setting her guitars down. “Some of them belong to my brothers, but most are mine. I collect them, as if you couldn’t guess; have since high school. I’ve played them all, of course. Some of them my brothers made for me; those are some of my favorites. Come on in, take a look around.”

Richie walked around the room, reverently touching and examining nearly everything. He grinned when he saw the Kramer. “I should autograph this for you,” he said, laughing. He picked up the Spanish Alvarez 12-string that Julianna received as a gift from an overzealous patron, and looked at Julianna. She nodded, smiling. Richie sat on one of the stools in the room, checked to make sure it was in tune, and began a spirited Flamenco. Julianna reached for her Italian Galanti that she picked up at auction a few years ago, and joined in. The two instruments blended flawlessly.

Jon, wondering what the hell was taking so long, stalked across the room, ready to give them shit for sneaking off to neck. He stopped at the threshold of the room and just stared. Two dark heads were bent over dark mahogany guitars. Eyes were closed, fingers flying, they were on another planet altogether. Gesturing to get Dave and Tico’s attention, he put a finger to his lips and motioned them over. The three of them stood there, watching their friend and his lady playing. This is almost more intimate than what I saw this morning, Jon thought.

Julianna could feel eyes watching her. She couldn’t make herself break away from their playing. This was yet another of her fantasies come true – playing guitar with one of her idols. She knew they needed to get to work, but she didn’t really want to just now. She sighed, and stopped playing. Under her breath she muttered, “Rich, we’ve got company.”

Richie looked up and saw his friends standing there. “Sorry guys,” he said, not meaning it at all, “but can you blame me? Look at this room! Look at this guitar!” He brought the Alvarez to Jon, presenting it like a rare find. “Look around – Jules’ collection rivals mine. She has some I haven’t had a chance to play.” He took in the look on his friends’ faces. “Okay, okay,” he chuckled. “Work now, play later. I’ve got it.”

Everyone laughed, and made to leave the room. Julianna, grabbing her selected guitars, started to follow. She noticed Richie lovingly setting the Alvarez back on its stand, looking at it longingly. Her heart melted. “Rich, take the Alvarez.”

“Huh?” he said, distracted, still trailing a hand down the smooth wood.

“Take it,” Julianna repeated, putting down her Strat so she could turn Richie’s face towards hers. “I said, ‘take the Alvarez’.”

“Julianna, I can’t take that.”

“Yes, Rich, you can. It was made for your fingers. It was magic in your hands. Please, take it. I want you to have it.”

Richie looked at her, at the honest admiration in her eyes, and smiled widely. “Really?”

Juliana laughed. When he smiles like that, his whole face lights up, and he looks 25 again. She kissed him soundly. “Really.”

Richie kissed her back. “Thank you, truly. I’ll show you how much I appreciate this later.”

“Let’s go, you two,” Jon called from the studio.

Julianna picked up the Strat and the two went back out to the studio. She ran through what she had done in those sections of the song until she thought her fingers were going to have permanent string marks. Once Jon was satisfied, and had all the necessary notations on the music, he stood, stretching his back and removing his glasses. “Alright,” he said. “I think we’ve got it. Jules, you still want to wait until Saturday to start? Or, since you’re back…” he trailed off.

“I still have to unpack from my trip,” Julianna answered, “and I have lunch plans with my mother tomorrow. But, I can be back here afterwards. You guys can come on by anytime; I’ll give you a key. I’ll be back by two at the latest. Does that work for you?”

Jon nodded. “That’ll be fine. The sooner we start, the sooner we can put work behind us, and enjoy the summer.”

Julianna laughed. “Speak for yourself, pretty boy. Once we’re done with the song, I still have to stage it and teach it to the company. You all enjoy your summer here; I’ll be in the city working – Labor Day weekend, and the opening night of my show, will be here before I know it. Now,” she said, not noticing the stricken look on Richie’s face, “here is a set of keys.” She pulled a key ring from the center drawer of her desk. “These are the keys to the studio and the cottage. Feel free to come and go as you please out here, and help yourself to the cottage when I’m not around, and come by if I am, if you find you need something.” She tossed them to Jon. “You guys work as long as you like; I’ve gotta get started in the cottage. Rich, walk me home?”

“Of course,” he replied.

Julianna exchanged kisses and hugs with the others, and Richie trailed her down the stairs. “Don’t make me come after you, Rich,” Jon threatened from upstairs. “Because you know I will.” They could hear the others laughing. Smiling, the pair slowly walked arm-in-arm, back to the cottage.

Stopping on the deck, Richie kissed Julianna thoroughly. “Jon wasn’t kidding when he said he’d come after me if I’m gone too long.”

“I could tell,” Julianna said, clinging to Richie’s shoulders.

“I don’t know how long we’ll be working up there,” he said, “but I’d like to be with you tonight.”

“I’d like that, too. Hang on, don’t move.” Julianna disappeared into the house, and came back with a small key. “This unlocks the slider in my bedroom,” she said blushing. “Use it anytime.”

Richie took the key and put it in his shirt pocket, over his heart. Patting the key, he said, “We’ve really just jumped into this thing, haven’t we?”

“I know, I think so too.” Julianna sunk to the top step of the deck. “It’s not what I intended, and I know it’s not what you intended, but I do feel as if I know you – the real you, not just the persona – oh, I can’t explain it. I feel as if we’ve known each other forever, yet I don’t know your favorite color, or if you can ride a horse, or if you can swim, or...” she trailed off, flapping a hand, “… or any of a thousand little things. But,” she shook her head. “You’re in my head all day, and you’re in my heart, Rich. I don’t know how you snuck in there, but you’re there.”

Richie was just staring at her. Is she saying what I think she’s saying? “Julianna,” he sat beside her, taking her hand. “I feel the same way. We’re like kindred spirits. I feel connected to you in such a grand way, with my whole being.” He smiled. “And, for the record, yes, I can swim, no, I can’t ride a horse, but would love to learn, and my favorite color is the shade of midnight your eyes turn when we make love. You’re in my heart too, Julianna. I tried to keep you out, thinking it’s too soon,” he shook his head. “But, there you are.”

Jon paused, standing still in the shadows between the studio and the cottage. He felt his heart squeeze. He’d heard their last exchange, and didn’t have the heart to pull his friend away to work. Not now. Tomorrow was soon enough. Pulling out his phone, he sent a text to Richie: “Don’t worry about working tonight. Stay with your lady.” He turned to go back to the studio, smiling.

Richie, feeling the phone vibrate in his pocket, chuckled. “I guess that’s my cue,” he said. Standing up and pulling Julianna with him, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “I will be back.”

“I’ll be waiting. Anxiously.” Julianna pulled Richie into a tight embrace and swept her tongue around the rim of his ear, making him shiver.

“Witch,” he growled, devouring her mouth.

“You know it babe,” she said when they finally came up for air. She swatted his ass. “Go to work. I’ll see you when you get ho— er -- when you get back.” She hurried into the house. For Christ’s sake, Jules, she thought. What the hell were you thinking?

Richie stood, dumbstruck, thinking about what Julianna had said – well almost said. He had to admit, he felt more at home here with her than he had in Malibu these past months. Still, to hear her say it, it felt good. “She’s more than in my heart,” he muttered. “She is my heart.”

0 comments: