Chapter 19: Changing Their Minds



Julianna sighed as they broke the kiss, and she settled into his arms. Richie backed up until he was sitting on the couch, with Julianna cuddled on his lap. They sat quietly for several minutes, just enjoying each other’s company. Richie kissed the top of her head. “What’s going through your mind, darlin’?”

She shifted in Richie’s lap so she could turn her face to his. “Oh, just girl stuff. You know: What’s happening here? What does this mean? What is he thinking? Did I go too far? The usual shit. How about you?”

Richie chuckled. “I’m thinking I don’t want to go with Jon tomorrow. That I want to explore this more. That I want to throw caution to the wind, and see what happens. That we drank three bottles of wine and a pitcher of margaritas, so do I really want to do that?” He hugged her. “I mean, I know neither of us wants to get hurt again, but I think we both want to renege on our deal. Am I wrong here?”

“No,” Julianna offered softly. “You’re not wrong. But, you do make a good point. We had quite a bit to drink. I don’t want there to be any regrets. For either of us. You should go with Jon, take a few days. I’ll be working with Sam and Lila anyway.” She kissed his chin. “And, you were looking forward to the trip. Anyway, I’ll still want you when you get back, probably more so.” Horrified at what she just said, Julianna jumped up and slapped her hands over her mouth, her eyes wide. “I definitely had too much to drink. I can’t believe I just said that. Apparently, the filter between brain and mouth has left the building. Sorry.”

Richie grinned, and pulled her back onto his lap. “Baby, it’s never a hardship to have a beautiful woman tell me she wants me.” He kissed her deeply. “I’ll go to New Orleans with Jon, but when I get back, we will continue this.”

“You bet your sweet ass we will,” she said, threading her hands into his thick hair, and pulling him into another kiss. She shifted so that she straddled his lap, and kissed him with all the passion she had in her. Suddenly she remembered turning the cameras on. Shit, shit, shit! She pulled back abruptly. “Um, baby I need to tell you something.”

Richie was nibbling on Julianna’s neck. “Hmmm? What’s that?”

“Um, I think maybe I turned on the cameras up here when you and Jon were playing,” she said sheepishly.

Richie laughed. “Now why would you that?”

Julianna looked guilty. “No matter what else I may be, I’m a fan of your work. I heard something beautiful, something that I’d never heard before, and well, frankly, I wanted a souvenir of your time in my studio.” She looked at him. “Are you mad?”

Richie shook his head. “No, but we’d better go turn them off, so you can show the footage to your family. And, I’d like a copy too – I’d like a souvenir of my time in your studio, and your performance.”

The pair stood, and made a show of straightening their clothes. Looping an arm around Julianna’s shoulders, they made their way downstairs.

* * * * *

The weekend was a rousing success for everyone:

. . . Jon and Richie toured some of their old haunts, jamming with old friends, and making new ones.

. . . Sam and Lila were very receptive to the changes that Julianna had made, and learned everything in record time.

. . . Dave and Tico? Well, they had good weekends, too.

After everyone stumbled into the studio on Tuesday morning, Jon made an announcement. “As is my prerogative, and, more often than not, my habit, I’ve decided we need to rework some of the finale.” His announcement was met with groans, and a shocked look from Richie. He had thought Jon liked his ideas.

Jon cleared his throat and continued. “I think the finale should be a duet rather than a group song, and Richie should sing it with a female counterpart.” He smiled devilishly. “I have it on good authority that Julianna sings like an angel, with a passion that is palpable, and that she sounds great with Sambora here.”

Tico and Dave looked at Richie, then back at their leader. Tico spoke up first. “If it’s what you want man – it’s your show.”

Dave looked a little more skeptical. “It sounds like an interesting idea, but I’d like to hear her for myself. When can we arrange that?”

Jon held up a CD. “Right now.”

Last night, when they had gotten back, Jon had swiped Richie’s phone and called Julianna, asking for a copy of the recording from Friday night. Embarrassed, she had apologized for her sneaky actions. Jon told her not to worry about it. He’d met her at the gate that night to collect it. Now, he put the CD on, and the foursome listened to Richie and Julianna sing together. Then they listened to her sing Billy Joel. When she was done, Jon turned off the CD. Tico and Dave were nearly speechless.

“Wow,” Dave said.

“That was my thought exactly, when I heard her,” Jon agreed, smiling.

“That was beautiful,” Dave continued. “And hell, she plays the piano almost as good as I do!”

Richie laughed. “Well, she is Julliard-trained.”

“No shit? We’ll have to compare notes. Jon, I’m all for your idea.”

Tico agreed. “How are we going to get Julianna to agree?”

Jon looked at Richie. “That’s Sambora’s job.”

Richie groaned. “Great, thanks.”

0 comments: