Chapter 31: Studio Time



Stumbling up the stairs in a fog, Richie surprised the others. “Hey, man, didn’t you get my text?” Jon asked. “Lemme guess. For once, you just came running without checking your phone first.” He sighed. “You crazy bastard,” he said, with no rancor, just true affection. “I was coming to see how long you were going to be, and to give you a bunch of shit, but I heard the end of your conversation.” He took in the look on his friend’s face.

“Jesus,” Richie said.

“I know, man, I know. I left you a text; told you to stay with her. Check your phone.”

Richie looked at the message, a wry smile on his lips. “Well, I’m here now, and have someone waiting for me at ho– for after; let’s get this thing done.”

“Were you just about to say ‘at home’?” Dave asked.

Richie sighed. “You caught that, huh?” The guys all nodded. “It’s something Julianna let slip, and I guess it’s stuck in my head now.”

“Man, you’re falling fast,” Tico commented.

“Brother, I think I’ve already fallen neck deep in it,” Richie replied. “I’m not sure what to make of it.”

Jon laughed. “Well, you surely won’t find out hanging around here!”

Richie chuckled. “I know, but I’m here now, and I’m motivated. Let’s get this show on the road.” He dropped his phone on the desk, and went to the guitar “closet” to get the 12-string Julianna had given him. He came out, strumming it gently.

“What’s that for?” Dave asked.

“Jules gave it to me. Just told me to take it, that it was magic in my hands. It has a really nice voice; I thought we could do a run through with it, see how it sounds.”

Jon nodded. “Sure, man. That guitar does have a nice sound. Give it a go.”

They ended up running through the song many times – some on the 12-string, some on the 6. They couldn’t decide which they liked better. The 6-string version was more in line with the rest of the show – they decided that was the version that should go for Tommy & Gina. The version on the 12-string was more haunting, the sound deeper. “That should be the version we put on the album,” Tico suggested.

They thought about it, and agreed. They ran through each version again, and Jon was finally pleased with the results. “I’d say we’ve got it, boys. Teek and Dave, let’s head back up to the house. Rich, my friend, head on home,” he paused meaningfully, “to your woman.”

Richie grinned and slapped Jon on the back. “Thanks, man, see you tomorrow.”

Jon laughed. “Not if I see you first!”

Richie sobered. “Uh-uh – we’re closing the blinds tonight.”

All four of them burst out laughing.

1 comments:

lifetimejovifan said...

Hath I have to say when I read the line "Rich, my friend, head on home,” he paused meaningfully, “to your woman.” It flashed me back to "Love For Sale" on the New Jersey album...

"Rich,"
"What bro"
"I gotta go"
"How come man"
"I gotta go home ha ha ha"
"You gotta go home to your woman?"