Chapter 34: Lunch with Mama



After seeing Richie off, Julianna went to shower (again) and to dress for her lunch with her mother. She chose her outfit carefully, knowing her mother would be scrutinizing everything today. Julianna selected a long, slim, black skirt, slit nearly to her thigh paired with a leopard print peasant blouse that she cinched at her waist with a silver belt. She applied minimal makeup and left her hair loose, allowing it to curl naturally. She wore simple silver jewelry at her ears and throat. High-heeled knee-high boots completed the ensemble.

Going outside, she saw Richie’s truck in her driveway. Puzzled but pleased, she approached, watching him watch her. His hungry eyes followed her progress down the steps and toward him. Richie opened his door, and stepped out of the truck. “Heya, gorgeous,” he called out, looking her up and down appreciatively.

“Hey yourself,” Julianna answered, letting her gaze travel over him. He looked almost unbearably sexy in perfectly cut black dress pants, and a red silk shirt that was unbuttoned to mid-chest. She kissed him deeply in greeting. “Weren’t you just here? Can’t stay away, huh?”

“Nope, can’t seem to,” Richie grinned. “I’ve come to see if I can chauffeur you to lunch. I have some errands I have to run, and,” he laughed self-consciously. “Hell, I just want to spend time with you.”

“What about work?”

“Everyone is taking it easy until you’re back. We got the music nailed down last night – didn’t I tell you?”

“You may have,” she said, trailing her fingers across the skin he was showing, “but my mind was focused on other things.”

“As was mine, baby, as was mine.” He looked into Julianna’s eyes, seeing the passion and emotion there, just under the surface, reflecting his own feelings. “So what do you say? Can I drive you?”

“Sure, but be warned. If Mama sees you, she won’t let you go without feeding you. It’s some sort of Italian Mother Creed or something.”

Richie frowned. “I don’t want to intrude on your personal time with your mother.”

“Don’t even worry about it – you won’t be intruding.” Julianna took Richie’s hand in hers, and played with his fingers. “In fact, you’ll probably be doing me a favor. We’ll be most likely talking about you, and if you’re there, you can answer the questions yourself.”

Richie laughed. “OK, if you’re sure. I mean, I don’t want to be crowding you or stifling you or anything. I just want to spend more time with you.”

Julianna kissed him softly. “We agreed on honesty, right? If I didn’t want you to come, I’d tell you. Let’s go.”

Richie led Julianna to the passenger side and handed her up into the truck. He jogged around to the driver’s side and climbed in. Julianna had her legs crossed, one leather-clad calf and bare thigh peeking out from the high slit in her skirt. Bending to kiss her exposed flesh, Richie closed his eyes briefly, taking in her scent.

“Um, baby, you keep that up, and we’ll be late for lunch,” Julianna said with a whisper.

“Sorry, babe,” Richie replied, straightening up and flashing an I’m-anything-but-sorry grin. “I couldn’t help myself.”

“You’d better get yourself under control before we get to the restaurant,” Julianna answered. “Looking at me like that in front of my parents will have them looking for churches, and planning our kids’ christenings.”

“Understood, milady,” Richie said with a wink. They chatted about inconsequential things on the way to the restaurant. Julianna was nervous. She knew her mother was happy for her, but she was still Bringing Someone Home. Richie was going to be fair game for her mother’s blunt questions and pointed looks. She hoped he was up to it.

When Richie pulled into a spot in front of the restaurant and turned off the truck, Julianna hesitated. “Are you sure you want to park here? This is a pretty ostentations truck, and this is a regular business day. You’ll – we’ll – be very visible.”

“It’ll be fine. I’m not worried; you shouldn’t be either – unless you’re having second thoughts about me coming in with you?”

“Nope, you’re not getting out of this now,” she said, smiling. Laying a hand on the side of his face, smooth from shaving that morning, she rubbed her thumb over his lips. “Let’s have lunch.”

“OK, whatever you say, Jules.” He looked at her. “I trust you.” He exited the truck, and walked around to open Julianna’s door. Taking her hand, he helped her down from her high seat, then looped her arm through his. Teresa was coming out from the kitchen as the pair entered.

“Julianna! You brought your friend, how wonderful!” She was beaming at her daughter – at how lovely she looked, at the joy in her face. Taking in the pair, she thought to herself that they made such a stunning couple. Their dark looks and long, lean builds went perfectly together. They’ll give me beautiful grandbabies, she thought with a sigh.

After exchanging kisses with Julianna and Richie, Teresa led them to a semi-secluded table toward the back of the restaurant. Richie sat with his back to the rest of the room, with one beautiful woman on either side of him. “So, Riccardo,” Teresa started, “tell me something about yourself.”

Before Richie could answer, Riley came bounding from the kitchen, looking for his women. Spying them at the back of the room, with a third head, he frowned. Who is that with them, he wondered. Wiping his hands on his apron, Riley went to greet his daughter and her guest.

“Julianna, baby, so nice to see you!” He leaned in to kiss her cheek. “How did your trip go?” He now recognized the man with her as “that boy Julianna brought to the last family dinner”. He smiled, remembering the chemistry the two shared. He saw the same chemistry there between them now. Ah, to be young and in love, he thought. Addressing Richie, he extended a hand. “Good to see you again, son.”

Richie stood. “Likewise, sir. I wanted to thank you again – you and your wife,” he smiled endearingly at Teresa, “for making me feel so welcome. I had a fantastic time, and the food was spectacular.”

“Yes, we did have a good kitchen that night,” Riley agreed. “I’m glad you had a good time. So, you’ll come back another time with Julianna on Family Night, then?” Richie nodded. “Good. So,” he asked, “are you and Julianna together now?”

“Daddy!” Julianna hissed, mortified.

Richie just laughed. “I guess you could say that, right Julianna?” He had mirth twinkling in his eyes, as he covered Julianna’s hand with his own.

Riley nodded. “Good. You two remind me of Teresa and me when we were young.” He sighed. “It’s such a beautiful thing to see.”

“Daddy, that’s enough,” Julianna said, exasperated. “My trip was good. Rehearsals are going smoothly, and I have the Manhattan apartment all ready. So far,” she looked at Richie, “everything is on track with the show.”

“Excellent,” Julianna’s father replied. “Now, what are you eating?”

Teresa laughed a delicate, tinkling sound. “Mi amore, let them sit. They just got here. Bring us some wine and we’ll decide on lunch in a little while.”

“Of course, my dear,” Riley said, bending to kiss his wife’s cheek.

Teresa watched the love of her life disappear back into the kitchen. “Julianna,” she said, “your father does not mean to embarrass you. He is just happy to see the fog lifted. Look at me.” She waited until Julianna had complied. “It is gone. The shadow in your eyes is finally gone. I can see light in them again.” She extended a hand to Richie, who took it. “And you, Riccardo, you did this for her,” she said, squeezing his hand gently, a sheen of tears in her eyes. “You brought her back to us.”

Richie blushed slightly, unsure how to respond. Weepy women were not his specialty. “I may have helped, but I think Julianna was on her way back. I think this new show was bringing her around.”

Teresa shook her head. “No, it was you. But, I appreciate the modesty.” She laughed. “Now, you were going to tell me something about yourself.”

“Well,” Richie began, “I’m divorced, with a beautiful daughter who is traveling with her mother for the summer, but who will be back for opening night of the show. I do a fair bit of traveling, but I’m based out of California, since that’s where my daughter is living right now. I still get back east pretty often, since I still have family in Jersey. I am in awe of your daughter’s talent and generosity, and I’m pretty much smitten with her.” He smiled as Julianna choked on her wine. “You okay, babe?” he asked, grinning.

Julianna laughed nervously. “You sure are full of surprises, Rich,” she said. “Mama, I have some news for you that you need to keep to yourself, about the show.”

“About the new song?” Teresa asked. “I already know; Nicky confided in me. Don’t worry, your father doesn’t know.”

“I’m gonna kill Nicky,” Julianna said. “I wanted to tell you myself.”

“Don’t be too hard on him, cara,” Teresa said. “He was so excited for you, he couldn’t help himself. You know how he is.”

“Yeah, I know,” Julianna sighed. “Before Daddy sends out an army of wait staff, should we order?”

Teresa laughed. “Si, we should.” She turned to Richie. “What do you like to eat?”

Richie grinned widely. “Signora, if it came from your kitchen, I would eat the sponge. Truly, whatever you recommend would be wonderful.”

Teresa nodded, a pleased smile on her face. “My Mama was right about you,” she said, winking. “You are quite the charmer, but very genuine.” She leaned down to kiss his cheek, and glided from the room into the kitchen.

Richie turned to Julianna. “Boy, you sure do have a very forthright and up-front family. That’s so refreshing. Seriously, it’s like being with my own family.”

Julianna shrugged. “We are what we are. We don’t put on airs, and we don’t fake anything,” she blushed at this last. “I’m just glad Mama got Daddy out of here before he could ask you what your intentions are toward me.” She sighed and grinned wryly. “The flip side to our forthrightness is our inability to butt out of each others’ affairs.”

Richie laughed. “Wait until you meet my family. Then you’ll know the meaning of ‘unable to butt out’.”

Julianna smiled, though her heart was pounding. She knew that it was just friendly chatter, but she hadn’t even really thought about meeting his family. Thinking about it now, she could probably handle most of them, but what about his daughter? How happy was she going to be to meet “Dad’s girlfriend”? Or what about his ex-wife? I’m sure she would want to meet someone who may be in her daughter’s life, even tangentially. Shit, she thought, draining her wineglass in one swallow.

Fortunately, she was saved from more troubling thoughts by the arrival of her mother, who was carrying a tray of food. Richie jumped up to take the tray from her. “Signora, you should be waited on, not waiting on us.” Turning to head back to the table, he realized he’d drawn attention to himself. There were curious looks that slowly turned to looks of recognition. “Uh oh; I think I’m busted.”

Teresa looked at her patrons. Sure enough, wide-eyed expressions were replacing puzzled frowns. “Riccardo,” she whispered, “do you prefer to eat in the privacy of the back room? I can have someone set a table.”

“No, Signora. That would be rude of me. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Thank you for offering, though.”

Richie looked chagrined when he got back to the table. “I guess I’ve drawn attention to your private lunch, Julianna. I’m sorry about that.”

“Don’t worry about it – let’s see what Daddy sent out for us. It smells wonderful! Anyway, if anyone dares interrupt Mama, she’ll toss them out on their ear.”

Richie laughed. “I would pay to see that,” he said.

The three tucked into plates of food that seemed to never empty. Teresa had brought out samples of nearly everything: from calamari to fried zucchini flowers to gnocchi to almond-crusted salmon. Richie ate some of everything, and most of some things. They chatted about the show, and Julianna’s brothers and nieces. Richie forgot he was being watched, and just enjoyed the company of these two lovely ladies.

When their plates were finally empty, Teresa raised a delicate hand, and someone came to bus their table. She turned to her daughter. “Julianna, I must go to the kitchens and speak with your father about dinner. Once I’m gone, you two may be approached. Feel free to leave out the back if you have to.”

“Thank you, Signora,” Richie answered, “but that won’t be necessary. I’m sure we’ll be OK.” He kissed her cheek. “Thank you for a delightful and delicious lunch.”

Teresa nodded, and rose from the table. The younger couple also rose, and exchanged hugs with the diva. Teresa held one of each of their hands in hers. “It was wonderful to see you both. I hope you’ll come again soon.”

“Absolutely,” Richie said, squeezing Teresa’s hand.

“Of course, Mama,” Julianna said, kissing her mother’s cheeks.

Teresa pulled Julianna in close for a hug. “I think,” she whispered in her daughter’s ear, “that your Riccardo is more than just smitten with you, my dear.”

Julianna blushed and whispered back, “Well, for heaven’s sake, don’t go saying anything to him, Mama. It’s still very early, and I don’t want you or Daddy scaring him away.”

“Eh, how you talk to your mother!” Teresa said with false indignation. “Of course, we are and will continue to be perfectly well behaved.” With that, and a wink, she swept from the room.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the interaction with her parents, great chapter!!!

Queenie said...

Finally catching up on my reading! Great chapter Jennifer. Gotta love Mama! Can't wait for the next installment.

Opester said...

You capture the relationship with Julianna's family so well. How wonderful it must feel for Richie to be welcomed in such a real way-don't we all want this for him after all he's been through? It warms my heart just to imagine it!