Chapter 48: Waiting


“I asked you a question, Sambora. Did you say you love my sister?” Nicky asked.

“Yeah, I did. I do,” Richie said, stroking Julianna’s hair. “That’s one of the things we talked about last night; our feelings for each other.”

“Wow,” was all Nicky said.

“I’m not going to explain it to you,” Richie said, “because it’s Julianna’s tale to tell, if she wants to. Just know that I love her, and will do whatever I need to do to help her through this. Whatever you guys, who’ve seen her go through this before, think is right, I will do. I want Julianna back as much as you do.”

“Alright,” Nicky said. “This is her business, but I will say one thing, and I already know my brothers are behind me on this because we talked about it the first night we met you. Hurt her, and we’ll break your hands. Treat her right, and you’ll have more people to depend on, more loyal friends, than you’ll know what to do with.” Nicky blew out a breath. “Give me a call when she wakes up.” He disconnected.

Jesus, Richie thought to himself, shoving the phone into his pocket out of habit. He thought he was overprotective; he could take lessons from the Cavanaugh brothers. He shifted his attention to Julianna, who looked peaceful, but she was muttering and moaning a little. Her breathing was no longer even and steady. Unable to resist, he leaned down to kiss her lips gently, trying to calm her. He pulled back to sing softly to her.

There’s something wrong and that ain’t right
I hear you talking in your sleep.
I want to dive in your dreams
And wrap my loving arms around you
Protect you when the waves crash down on you
When you’re lost and you’re scared, Ill be the air

When it hurts, breathe
When it burns, breathe
The feeling inside you is feeling like I do
Take a breath, breathe
Let it out, breathe
Just close your eyes, don’t hold it inside you
Breathe


Richie spoke quietly to her. “I know you’re hurting, my love, and it’s killing me that I’m to blame. Know that when you wake up, I’ll be here to try to take away some of your pain. I’m so sorry sweetheart. I should have never let you wake up alone. If you’ll let me, I’ll make sure you don’t have to wake up alone ever again.” He kissed her again, and laid his head down next to hers, so he could watch her face.

Jon walked into the great room, and saw his friend, head resting on the couch, staring at Julianna. “How’s the patient? She doing OK?”

Richie looked at his friend. “She was dreaming or something and getting agitated, but she seems to be doing okay now.” Jon thought Richie looked like he was going to cry. “I thought she was coming out of it.” He swiped at his eyes. “I just want her to wake up and talk to me. Or yell at me. Something. The waiting is killing me.” He stroked Julianna’s hair again. “I talked to Nick. You gave me some good advice, as usual. At first, he thought it was my fault, and was pissed. Then, when I explained the situation, he agreed that we’re doing what we can for her. He and his brothers may be by, but most likely they’ll wait until she wakes up.” He looked down at Julianna again. “God, I hope it’s soon.”

“Man, go get something to eat. I’ll sit with her awhile,” Jon said. “Anyway, the others are in the kitchen, and want to talk to you; to offer some support. Go, talk to them. If she wakes when you’re gone, I’ll call.”

Richie kissed Julianna’s cheek. “I’ll be right back, darling,” he said to her. “Jon will be here for you if you need him.” He rose from the floor, and grabbed Jon in a quick man-hug before leaving the room. “Thanks, man. I can’t seem to stop saying that to you. Just thanks.”

Jon brushed him off. “Nothing to thank me for, Rich, you’re my brother. What hurts you hurts me. I’ll be here to worry with you until she wakes up and curses us out for babying her.” He put a hand on Richie’s shoulder and squeezed. “I’ve met my share of really strong women, and I know them when I see them. She’s one of them, Rich. She’ll be OK.”

Richie nodded, and headed into the kitchen. He found Dave and Tico talking softly, hands wrapped around steaming mugs of coffee. Both men were hung over and looked like shit, and Richie told them so.

Dave laughed quietly. “Thanks, man. You don’t look too great yourself.” He sobered. “How’s Julianna? What the hell happened?” Richie, once again, told the tale about what happened last night and this morning. Dave said, “Of course, we’ll do whatever you want us to do. Just tell us.”

Tico agreed. “Man, I’m with you all the way. Whatever you or she needs, all you have to do is ask.”

“I couldn’t ask for better friends; thank you.” Richie considered himself blessed, and this was why. This group of friends would do anything for each other without hesitation or question. You don’t get loyalty and love like that every day. “Alright, Jon sent me in for something to eat.” He looked around the kitchen. “I guess that means I’m making breakfast?”

“Absolutely!” the two said in unison.

* * * * *

In the great room, Jon was sitting on the edge of the couch next to Julianna, talking to her and stroking her hair gently. He had waited for Richie to leave first, before talking to her. “You know what, darlin’, you can’t do any better than Rich; well, except maybe for me, but you ain’t interested.” He laughed a little, then continued. “I think you’re really good for him, too. He’s a lucky man to have found you. You’re funny and strong and honest, and, well, just real. There’s nothing pretentious or phony about you – at least not from what I can tell, and I’m an excellent judge of character. You, Julianna, are exactly what he needs. He also needs you to finish your rest and wake up. He’s worried sick about you.”

Jon sighed. “We all are. We’re worried about Rich, too. He’s in deep with you, darlin’. Real deep. It would actually kill him if something happened to you.” He chuckled. “No pressure or anything. I’m just laying it out for you. You’ve always been honest with me, so I will be with you. You need to wake up now, and let Rich know you’re OK. C’mon, darlin’, we’re all here for you.” She didn’t move. Jon didn’t really expect her to. She would wake up when she was ready, not because he willed it to be so.

A short while later, Richie came back to where Julianna rested. He looked marginally better for having had something to eat. His eyes immediately scanned Julianna’s prone form, looking for some sign she was waking up. Seeing there was no discernable change, his shoulders slumped a little. He crossed to the couch, and took the seat that Jon had vacated. He sat for a few minutes, and then moved to lift Julianna’s head into his lap. He sat there, stroking her forehead and hair, whispering words of love and encouragement to her. Lunch came and went. Richie didn’t want to leave Julianna’s side, so Dave brought him something to eat. It went largely untouched – Richie couldn’t stomach the thought of food.

Late in the afternoon, Dave was playing the piano softly. The others were scattered around the room, keeping silent vigil with Richie. David was in the middle of Fur Elise when Julianna started to stir. Richie had drifted off when he felt Julianna’s head shift slightly. He came awake suddenly and looked down at Julianna. “Baby, you in there?” At Richie’s words, the others came over to the couch, hopeful that their little sister was waking up. Julianna opened her eyes, groaned, and closed them again. Richie’s smile could have lit up Times Square. “Julianna, sweetheart, open your eyes.”

Julianna complied. She saw Richie’s face and smiled. “Good morning, my love,” she said, reaching up to stroke his cheek. “Was I dreaming, or were you singing to me?” When she looked around and saw the others’ concerned faces looking down at her, she frowned. “What happened? What’s going on?” She sat up and put her hands to her head. It was spinning. “Ugh, how much did I have to drink last night?” Slowly, she realized she was in the great room, not the bedroom as she expected. “How’d I get on the couch? What time is it?” Nobody spoke. Julianna frowned deeper and started to get angry. “Damn it, somebody please tell me what the hell is going on!” Now she was starting to get scared.

Richie spoke softly to her. “Sweetheart, what do you remember?”

Julianna furrowed her brow in concentration. “I remember going out last night to MacGuire’s, among other places.” She blushed. “I remember the car ride home, and trying to wake up the others,” she paused, thinking. She looked over at Richie. “You asked me to come in the house, but I refused. You got me to come in anyway and...” she trailed off. Groaning, she rose to her feet. She crossed to the Steinway and sat. “I played something on Mama’s piano.” She ran a few scales then shook her head. “I remember that we talked for a long while, then I thought we went to bed?” She raised her gaze to Richie, and he nodded. “How’d I get here, then?”

Richie blew out a breath, and crossed the room to take Julianna’s hand. “I brought you out here this morning,” he said. “We think you had a panic attack this morning, when you woke up alone and figured out where you were.” Julianna’s eyes went wide started to fill. She tried to pull away from Richie’s grasp, but he held fast. “God, baby, I’m so sorry,” Richie said. “I should have never left you alone like that.” He smiled, trying for a lightness he didn’t feel. “I figured I had worn you out and that you’d sleep through my shower.”

Julianna cracked a small smile, but it didn’t reach her eyes. This time when she pulled, Richie let go of her hand. “How much time did I lose? I lost time, right? I mean that’s why I’m out here,” she looked down at herself, “dressed in someone else’s clothes? Oh God.” She put her head into her hands, and started to cry in earnest. “How much time?”

Richie put his arm around Julianna’s shoulder. “Several hours all together. You were in throes of the attack for a little over an hour, and then slept for a while. We called Nick and made you comfortable out here. He wanted us to call him when you woke up. Do you want me to do that? Or do you want to talk to him?”

Julianna shook her head, withdrawing into herself. “I don’t want to talk to him. I don’t want to talk to anyone.” She raised a tear-stained face to Richie. “Where are my clothes, Rich? I want to go home.”

“Julianna, please,” Richie started. The others discreetly slipped away into the kitchen.

“Rich, get me my goddamned clothes. Please,” she begged. When Richie left the room to get Julianna’s clothes, she grabbed her bag from the floor and bolted for the front door. Sprinting around back, she aimed for her cottage.

When Richie came back into the great room and saw it empty, he was puzzled. He checked the kitchen but all he saw there were his friends. They asked him what was up, and he said that he couldn’t find Julianna. He checked the library, and didn’t see her there either. Coming back into the great room, Richie noticed the front door was ajar.

He knew then that she had gone.

6 comments:

Starr said...

OMG, that was? I hardly have words. I am so upset for Richie! He loves her So fucking much and she just leaves! I know she is upset but Jeesh, she doesn't even know what HE has been through either.
Poor Richie, I am practically in tears!

Great Job Jen, brilliant writing to make me feel this way!
But make it all better in the next one okay?

Anonymous said...

Poor Richie!! How could she just leave him like that? It wasn't his fault! Wait till she knows the agony she put him through during the couch side vigil! Poor Richie! Poor Julianna too, she seems so confused!

Anonymous said...

Boy, Julianna sure has got some issues! I think she needs a shrink!

Poor Richie!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh I really feel bad for Julianna - she's obviously battling her own demons - but I feel bad for Richie too - sure hope she doesnt shut him out. Cant wait for more, as usual.
Chris

Queenie said...

OMG Jen, that was awesome. Poor Richie, he is just beside himself because of what happened. Hope he goes after Julianna and they get this all straightened out.

Waiting impatiently to find out what happens. :)

The Goddess Hathor said...

OK. Y'all made this one worthwhile! Some of you are pissed at Julianna, some are sympathetic, and y'all want more! Wow. I didn't think I'd get this kind of response. I have the next chapter ready to go, I was gonna wait until later this week to post, but I don't think I will now. It'll be up later today.

Thanks again, girls, you make me feel so good!

Love,
Hathor