Chapter 7: Francesca's



The trio arrived at Francesca’s a half hour later, and were the last ones to arrive. A hush fell over the family gathered as they realized who had come in with Julianna and Gianni. An old woman broke from the crowd and approached.

“Nonna!” Julianna exclaimed, bending to kiss the old woman’s cheek and wrap her in a hug. “This is my friend and business associate, Richie,” she said. “Richie, this is my grandmother, and inspiration for this restaurant, Francesca Grimaldi.”

Francesca took Richie’s proffered hand and pulled him down so she could kiss each cheek. “Buona suera, Riccardo. Benvenuta a Francesca’s.”

Richie answered in perfectly accented Italian. “Good evening, Grandmother. Thank you for allowing me to invade your family dinner.”

Julianna stared at him, shocked. He just winked and smiled at her. Holy hell, she thought. Richie Sambora speaking in Italian is definitely the sexiest thing I’ve ever heard.

Nonna Francesca beamed at Richie, and said, in English, “Julianna, this one, he shows the respect, he speaks the language, and,” she paused, giving Richie a once-over, “and he is very easy on the eyes. This one, I like. You keep him.”

Julianna blushed. “Nonna, Richie is a business partner, not my boyfriend. Stop the matchmaking. Where’s Mama and Papa?”

“Feh, you know them; they’re still in the kitchen. They’ll come when they are ready.”

Julianna bent to kiss her grandmother again, then brought Richie in to meet most of the rest of her loud, boisterous family. Her parents had yet to emerge from the kitchen, and she knew better than to interrupt them. After the initial shock of seeing a superstar in their midst wore off, everyone was back to laughing and joking, making Richie feel right at home.

Richie accepted a glass of good red wine, and smiled to himself. He had missed big family gatherings. He was an only child, and his aunts, uncles, and cousins were now scattered all over the country. They didn’t get together anymore as often as he would have liked. He had meant what he said to Francesca – he was glad to be allowed to join them, and surprised to be automatically accepted so easily. He said as much to Julianna when she joined him.

“My family is pretty great,” Julianna agreed. “Although, growing up, I hated being part of such a big family. There were always aunts, uncles, or older cousins willing to rat me out to my parents,” she said ruefully. “Now, of course, I’m so grateful to have so much love so close.”

Richie clinked his glass against hers. “I’ll drink to that,” he said. “By the way, thanks for your discretion earlier with your brother. I appreciate it.”

Julianna smiled. “It was my pleasure. It was a much for my sanity as for your privacy. If he knew you were staying there, you’d learn the meaning of the word ‘stalker’.”

Richie, chuckling, gently elbowed Julianna, who laughed. “Nice,” he said.

“Hey,” Julianna’s oldest brother, Nicky, said, coming over in time to hear that last. “Only we get to bat her around like that. But, I guess since you do have the coolest wheels around, we will forgive you this time.” Gianni and Sal, Julianna’s other brothers, had followed Nicky. Julianna made the introductions.

“So,” Sal said, “what kind of business are you doing with Julianna? You don’t look like much of a dancer.”

“Salvatore, back off,” Julianna ordered, a smile taking the sting from her tone. “You know full well that BIO is doing my Jovi show. Richie is part of the oversight committee, tasked to make sure we don’t defame Tommy and Gina.”

Richie laughed. “Actually, to set the record straight, my mama made sure her son could dance.” He winked at Julianna. “Didn’t know when it would come in handy, and the ladies like it when their men can dance. She also taught me to cook, and I can iron a crease in your khakis that would cut you in half.” The men laughed.

Julianna giggled. “My brothers and I learned all that, too. I’m the only one capitalizing on the dancing lessons, though.”

“Don’t let her fool you,” Gianni said. “You are in the presence of a bona-fide grad-you-ate of the Julliard School for piano-playing, guitar-strumming, horn-tooting, twinkle-toes, sweet-singing, pain-in-the-ass sisters.”

Julianna blushed. Richie turned to her, intrigued. “Really? Julliard? Dave studied there, too. What do you sing?”

Gianni answered by shouting across the room to his parents, who had just emerged from the kitchen. “Hey, Mama, Julianna’s friend here wants to know what she sings!”

Julianna’s parents crossed the room to greet them. After introductions were made, Julianna’s mother, Teresa smiled. “My Julianna sings to make the angels weep. She can sing anything.”

“Mama, stop. Richie, really, I don’t sing much. I fill in at BIO once in a while, but…”

“Bah,” Julianna’s father, Riley, piped up. “Your voice is wasted on that Broadway nonsense. Opera. That’s where you should have sung.” He patted his wife’s arm. “Like your mama here.” He turned to Richie. “That’s what brought us together you know.”

Julianna’s brothers groaned. “Not the story again,” Sal complained.

Teresa knocked him on the back of the head. “Show your father some respect!” Her face softened as she looked with adoration at her husband. “Continue, husband, dear.”

“So, it’s 1960, and a poor Irish immigrant has won a ticket to the opera in a poker game. Tosca! Who ever heard of such a thing? What does a poor Mick like me know from opera? But, I was brought up to not waste anything. So, clad in my father’s best suit, there I was, standing outside the Met. I was sure they would sense I was a fraud, and not let me in. But I had a ticket so they let me in. In the second act, when the diva sang her aria, my heart stopped.”

Riley looked lovingly at his wife. “She was so beautiful, and her voice, her voice still makes me grateful to have my hearing. Certainly this is the voice that God Himself dreams about at night. Well, I loitered about in the alley until the performers were leaving. I knelt on the ground at her feet, and pledged my undying love and devotion if she would only have coffee with me. The rest, as they say, is history.”

Richie turned to Teresa. “I would love to hear you sing, Signora. Do you still perform?”

Teresa blushed prettily. “Only for family. But, since you are so kind, and also so cute,” she pinched Richie’s cheek, “I will sing for you.” She took Richie’s arm, and looked at her daughter. “Julianna, come. You will play piano.” Leaving no room for argument, Teresa grabbed Julianna’s hand, and the three left the main dining room for the function hall at the back of the restaurant.

1 comments:

Queenie said...

Fantastico capitolo (fantastic chapter)! Love the play between the family and Richie. Can't wait for the entertainment!