Chapter 10: After-Dinner Entertainment



Julianna explained to Richie how the song was being done in the show. He approved. It’s the way he would have done it, had the decision been his. They ran through the first couple of verses quietly, both playing guitars softly. The music brought Maddie to the door. “Are you guys ready for us?”

Julianna laughed. “As ready as we’re gonna be. Come on in.”

The family piled into the room, after-dinner drinks in their hands. Someone had brought Julianna and Richie fresh glasses of wine, which they set on the piano top. Once everyone was settled, Julianna addressed her family. “We’re going to give you a preview of one of the songs we’re doing for the show. Now, imagine that I’m Gina, a twenty-something from Queens, who’s dying at the thought of her love, Tommy here,” Richie made a small bow, “out on the road. Tommy has called Gina from his latest gig, and this is their phone conversation to each other.”

Richie started the opening strains of the song on the Strat, and Julianna joined in; playing along on an old-lovingly beat up Gibson. Richie took the first few lines, his voice clear and beautiful.

As I sit in this smoky room, the night about to end
I pass my time with strangers, but this bottle's my only friend
Remember when we used to park on Butler Street out in the dark
Remember when we lost the keys, and you lost more than that in my backseat, baby
Remember when we used to talk about busting out - we'd break their hearts


At the chorus, their two voices blended perfectly, like they were made to sing together. Raw emotion filled the room, as they channeled Tommy and Gina.

Together – forever
Never say goodbye, never say goodbye
You and me and my old friends, hoping it would never end
Never say goodbye, never say goodbye
Holdin' on - we got to try, holdin' on to never say goodbye


Julianna took the next verse, her voice morphing into that of a twenty-something from Queens.

Remember days of skipping school, racing cars and being cool
With a six pack and the radio we didn't need no place to go
Remember at the prom that night, you and me we had a fight
But the band they played our favorite song, and you held me in your arms so strong
We danced so close, we danced so slow, and I swore I'd never let you go


At the chorus this time, Richie and Julianna turned to each other and stared deeply into each others’ eyes.

Together - forever
Never say goodbye, never say goodbye
You and me and my old friends, hoping it would never end
Never say goodbye, never say goodbye
Holdin' on - we got to try
Holdin' on to never say goodbye


Richie played a heartfelt solo, much as he does on stage. Julianna watched his face, saw the emotion in his playing. She closed her eyes, swaying to the music. The two joined their voices together for the final lines of the song. When they were through, the room was silent. Looking out at her family, they saw stunned expressions. Richie quipped, “What? Did we do it wrong?” All at once, her family was swarming around them, praising their performance.

Teresa cleared her throat. “Let’s have dessert now.”

4 comments:

Queenie said...

That was amazing Jennifer. I am totally hooked on this story. I love that you made that song a duet too. It was perfect. Can't wait to find out what happens next.

Grazie.

The Goddess Hathor said...

Glad you liked it, Stephanie. I'm having a blast writing it!

More coming soon!

-- J

rutpop said...

Yay I found this story all over again and I am loving it the second time around even more if that's possible. This is one of my favorites.

Genie P said...

Just found this story & am loving it! Loved the rendition of Never Say Goodbye as a duet.