Chapter 14: Julianna Meets the Boys



After dinner, and a couple of rounds of margaritas, Dave stood. “Well, let’s go meet Julianna.” He headed for the door. Jon and Tico followed. Richie sighed, and brought up the rear. He had given Jon his 24 hours, and Julianna wouldn’t stop plaguing his thoughts. Maybe she wouldn’t get along with his friends. That would make this a no-brainer for him. Somehow, though, he didn’t think that would be the case.

Richie warned, “Be nice to her; Julianna is a nice lady.”

Dave rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah, you big baby. Let’s go.”

The full moon illuminated the night, making it easy for Richie to lead the way to the back of the property, and to the gap in the wall – Julianna had left the gate unlatched. His heart thudded in his chest, and his pulse quickened.

Jon started in on Richie as soon as he saw the gate push open easily. “You’re scaling walls with perfectly good doors in them?”

Richie laughed. “I didn’t know there was a gate at the time. Julianna told me about it yesterday when I came by to beg her not to turn me over to the police. She showed it to me later that afternoon, when I couldn’t find it on my own.”

“Man, sometimes it’s a challenge for you to find your ass with both hands,” Tico laughed at him. “She leave this open for you, stud?”

Richie shot him a triumphant look. “Of course she did. What do you think?”

Dave piped up, “I think I’ve gotta meet this woman.”

The foursome passed through the gate and came to an abrupt stop. They found themselves in some sort of fairyland. The gardens on either side of the house were strung with thousands of tiny white lights, and delicate wind chimes tinkled on the breeze. Wind catchers of all sizes and shapes hung from invisible threads at the borders of the gardens. In the center of the yard stood a tall statue of a fairy, gently illuminated, and adorned with a crown of fresh flowers. The fairy stood guard over a pair of intricately carved benches. On one of the benches sat a creature straight out of a fairy tale – a raven-haired princess, curls cascading to the seat of the bench. She was wearing some gossamer-thin gown and robe, and had her feet curled up on the bench next to her. She was swaying back and forth gently, listening to some sort of music.

Julianna hummed softly to herself as she closed her eyes and concentrated on the music. She was listening to the songs for the shows, and dancing the numbers in her head. She sensed, rather than heard, movement at the gate, and smiled. She called out softly, “Hey, stranger, I see you found the gate this time.” She turned off the music and turned toward the gate. What she saw there shocked her. Richie brought company. He gave a shy wave that melted her heart. She leaped from her seat, closing her robe around herself, and wrapping her arms around her waist. She was not prepared for the onslaught of emotions running through her. She briefly glanced at the other men, finding it hard to believe that Bon Jovi was in her backyard, but all she could really see was Richie.

“Hi, Julianna,” Richie said softly, as he crossed to her.

“Hi, Julia-a-anna,” the others drawled, making fun of Richie.

Julianna laughed, relaxing a little. “Hi boys. What brings you all to my gate on this glorious evening?”

Dave stepped forward and took Julianna’s hand. “We wanted to meet the woman that has Richie wanting to skip work and make nice with her family. After only knowing her for a day.” He looked her up and down slowly, making her blush. “Gotta say, I don’t blame him one bit.” He smiled.

Julianna blushed. “Thank you, Dave, that was sweet.”

Richie growled. “Yeah, sweet. You’ve met her, now, beat it. All of you.” He’d changed his mind. He didn’t need his friends’ blessing. He didn’t care what they thought. All he cared about was being with her.

Richie’s friends flopped down onto the empty bench across from Julianna. Julianna and Richie sat, too. “Nope,” Jon said with a smirk, settling in, “we’re staying.” He addressed Julianna. “So tell me, Julianna,how come Richie here practically gets arrested for spying on you and comes out of it as your new best friend, while I, who merely share a near-naked experience with you gets a ‘wake up and don’t burn your ass’?” The sparkle in his eyes let her know he was teasing her. OK, she thought. Two can play that game.

She leaned forward, showing just a hint of cleavage, and looked Jon square in the eye. “Darlin’, I will admit to checking out your,” she said, giving him a slow, thorough once-over, “very fine form while you were snoozing – or should I say snoring?” The others laughed. “But,” she said, casting a sidelong look at Richie, “as fine as you look, dirty blond and bronze doesn’t push my buttons -- I’m not a sunshine gal. Look around you. I’m more of a midnight mama. I find the night to be more sexy and seductive. Sorry.”

Jon rolled his eyes. “To each her own, but you don’t know what you’re missing, mama,” he drawled.

“Oh, I have some idea,” Julianna answered, with a wink and a grin. “Very nice, but just not for me.”

Tico piped up. “OK, if you’re so into dark and mysterious, what about me? I’m darker than Sambora here, and I’ve got that whole mysterious Cubano thing going on.”

Julianna’s eyes flashed with something dangerous. “Very true, but you also have a gorgeous wife. I don’t poach,” she said fiercely, “not ever.” Her voice softened, as she looked straight into his eyes. “Not even for someone built like you with a voice made for sin.” Tico gulped. Shit, he thought. Sambora really is in big trouble here.

Dave chuckled. “Even if my fair god-like looks don’t do it for her, she still thinks I’m sweet. Julianna, I like you. You’re fun.” He came to sit next to her, and again took her hand. Dave was apparently a touchy-feely type. “How’d you learn about this place?”

Julianna paused, then exhaled sharply. What the hell, she thought. “Actually, I own this place. The place you’re staying in too.” Seeing Dave’s shocked look, she squeezed his hand and stood. Taking a deep, steadying breath, she turned to Richie and stuck out her hand. “Nice to meet you, I’m Julianna Frances Cavanaugh.”

Jon’s eyes widened. “You’re J. Frances Cavanaugh?” He laughed.

Tico asked, “So, when ‘J. Frances’ office’ called to tell us about the peeper, that was you?” He laughed long and hard. “Girl, that was priceless.”

Julianna looked sheepish. “I don’t usually indulge in pranks outside my family, or show my darker side like that,” she looked apologetically at Richie. “But, when I saw who it was that was looking in my windows, it was the only thing I could think of that would guarantee I’d get to meet you. When you showed up at my door last night, I nearly had a heart attack. You’ll note, that at dinner I was very careful not to introduce too many people by full names.”

Richie grinned at his friends, who were still laughing. “I’ll bet nobody ever threatened to have you assholes arrested, just so they could meet you.” He turned to Julianna. “You scared the crap out of me. Now I don’t feel guilty anymore about peeking in your windows.”

Jon, wiping tears from his eyes, stood up and said, “OK, guys, I think she’s alright for our friend here. Let’s give them some privacy.” He leaned in to whisper to Richie, “Good luck, man.”

Julianna, blushing, said, “Good night, boys.”

“Good night, Julia-a-anna,” they sing-songed together, making their way through the gate and latching it behind them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay 2 chapters in one day, thanks - this was great and fun. Cant wait for more!
rutpop

Queenie said...

These chapters were just too much fun. Love it.