Chapter 61: The Ex-Husband


Mark Valentino sat across the desk from the private investigator he had hired. Ever since he had been banned from his ex-wife’s theater, he had been seething. There must be something she was hiding if she didn’t want him around, and he’d been in the business long enough to know that if it was worth hiding, it was worth knowing. He also was patient, and confident that he’d find out what it was. He had hired a PI who was the stereotype of a b-movie dick: rumpled suit, rumpled tie, rumpled hat, cheap cigar. Mark didn’t like him much, but the man did get results. Spread in front of them were pictures of his ex-wife cavorting with some men. Plural.

“What the hell is this?” Mark demanded.

“This is your ex-wife with a houseful of men,” the PI responded, leering at his employer. “They all went out together Friday, left separately on Saturday morning – your ex hauled ass out of there like the house was on fire, and the big one here,” he tapped the picture of Richie, “followed. Wherever they went, they were back Wednesday, and that’s these pictures here.”

“Who are they?” Mark demanded again.

“Some rock group,” the PI hedged. He knew he could sell these photos for a lot of money to some rags he occasionally worked with. He didn’t want to share all the information if he didn’t have to.

“Wait a minute,” he said, turning to his computer. He connected to BIO’s website and saw the ads for the new show. “That’s where I know them from. They’re working with her on the new show, you idiot,” Mark berated the other man. “Of course they’re hanging out together.”

“Yeah, but she seems pretty chummy with that big one,” the PI said. “More than just a working relationship, if you catch my meaning,” he said. “These two went back to that other house on the property by themselves.”

Mark turned up a lip in disgust and steepled his fingers together. Maybe he could use this information to his advantage. Maybe this rock star was married or something; he could use that. He thought more. They were probably doing something special for the show; something that she didn’t want to get out. Why else would they be out in the sticks rather than in New York?

He smiled an evil smile to himself. Time to pay the ex a little visit.

* * * * *

Richie was out picking up something for them for lunch, when there was a knock on her door. Thinking he’d forgotten his key again, she threw open the door without checking through the peephole first.

“Sweetheart, did you forget –” the words dried up when she saw who was darkening her door. “What are you doing here?” she asked incredulously; amazed that he’d have the balls to show up at her apartment.

“Is that any kind of way to greet the man you were married to?” he asked. “Hi, baby.” He dropped a kiss on her cheek and shouldered his way past her and into the room before she could react. “I told you I’d call; I thought I’d drop in instead. Where’s your rock star?” he asked.

“Out,” she said icily. “I ask you again, what the hell are you doing here?” She searched inside herself and didn’t feel any panic at his presence on her doorstep. She felt only anger, hurt, and betrayal. It didn’t even occur to her to ask how he knew about her and Richie.

“I was trying to be cordial, but OK, you want to do this the hard way? Fine.” Mark made himself comfortable on the couch. Julianna just glared at him. He had planned to try to finesse her, but something had happened since he had spoken to her last. He looked up at her, and grinned. “I want in on your show. You’re going to make that happen.”

Julianna gasped. “No fucking way.”

Mark was a little surprised. Where was the simpering little wench he spoke with on the phone nearly two weeks ago? No matter. Her newly found spine doesn’t mean shit. “Yes fucking way,” he said, his voice going hard. “You will or your secret will come out,” he bluffed. “I will make sure everyone knows about it.”

“I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about but you’re done talking.” She pulled on Mark’s arm, levering him off the couch and surprising him with her strength. “I want to see you walking. Get the hell out of here, and don’t come back. You made your choices.” She pulled Mark toward the door, and he dug in and yanked his arm out of her grasp and grabbed her upper arms, giving her a little shake.

“Listen, you bitch,” he said. “You left me, remember? I’m the one who was left out in the cold. Your family made sure I didn’t have an easy time finding work here. You owe me.”

Julianna was incredulous. She tried to pull away, but Mark’s grip was firm. “Let go of me, you bastard. I’m not the one who brought someone else into my house or into my bed. Of course I left you, you ass. I loved you, and you treated me like shit.” She was able to shake him off, and started ranting at him, letting go of the bile that had been building up and poisoning her life. “You know, you are just a spoiled child. You expect everything to be all about you, and if you don’t get your way, or you aren’t the center of attention, you get all pissy.” She gave him such a look full of hatred, he was taken aback. “You are nothing to me now; less than nothing. I owe you nothing, and you are getting nothing.” She stopped and shook her head. “I take that back. You are getting two things. You are getting the fuck out of my house and you are getting the fuck out of my life before I kick the ever-loving shit out of you.” She stalked to the door and flung it open.

Mark knew that she wasn’t going to budge on this now, but that didn’t mean he was giving up. He made a show of shooting his cuff to look at his watch and grinned. “Look at the time. I have an appointment across town, and I need to be going.” He sauntered over to her and put a hand to her cheek. “You better watch your temper there, sweetheart. I’m sure you don’t want your rock star to see what a bitch you really are.”

Julianna turned her head and bit Mark, making him curse. “My rock star doesn’t make me mad, so it’s not a problem. Now, get out.” She pushed him out the door and slammed it closed behind him.

Mark was muttering all the way to the elevator. When the doors opened, he saw Richie getting out. “Scuse me,” Richie said, surprised to see someone waiting for the elevator. He was beginning to wonder if there were any other people living up here; he never seemed to see anyone.

“A word of advice there, rock star,” Mark said as he got into the elevator. “Julianna will go cold on you too. And she can be a real jealous bitch. Get out while it’s still good.” The doors slid closed before Richie could react. Puzzled, he stared at the doors for a minute, shook his head, and went back to the apartment. He couldn’t find his key, so he knocked on the door.

After a moment, Julianna flung the door open, her eyes hard and her color high. “For Christ’s sake, you son of a bitch, I told you – ” she stopped when she saw Richie standing there, and chuckled at the irony. “Richie! Thank God you’re back.” She threw her arms around him in a hug and pulled him into the apartment.

“I ran into someone at the elevator…”

“That charming man was Mark, my ex,” Julianna said. “Did he say anything to you?”

Richie shook his head. “Nothing really. He warned me that you can be a jealous bitch and I should get out before you go cold on me.”

Julianna’s color got high again, and she started to pace. “That fucking bastard.” Richie was surprised at the venom in her voice. “He has one hell of a nerve.” Julianna told Richie about the conversation she and Mark had, and Richie laughed when she got to the part about biting him.

“If I had seen him with his hands on you, he would have known what temper is,” he said stonily. “Why the hell did he come here?”

Julianna got quiet. She may as well tell him the rest of it.

4 comments:

Starr said...

Very cool chapter Hathor! I love Julianna's character, especially now. She's fiesty, strong, and not about to take Mark's shit. I love how she told him off but good. What a fucking dick the man is!

Well done lady and I look forward to what happens next! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the new chapter. Can't wait for the next.

Joviswoman said...

Go Julianna! About time you gave that moron what fore!

Good girl.

That's it tell Richie everything honey, get it out in the open.

Loving it Hath.

More please.

Joviswoman said...

Go Julianna! About time you gave that moron what fore!

Good girl.

That's it tell Richie everything honey, get it out in the open.

Loving it Hath.

More please.