Chapter 54: Healing



Three days had passed since the intervention. That’s how Julianna still thought of it – as an intervention.

That first morning, when she woke with Richie wrapped around her, she thought the feelings of love and gratitude and thankfulness would drown her. She had put all thoughts of Mark’s call from her head; she wasn’t ready to talk about or deal with that yet. Julianna agreed to talk to her brothers that day, and Richie stayed by her side while she talked through what happened. She felt better sharing this burden with them. Jon and the guys had stopped by in the evening – both to check up on the two of them and to bring them dinner. The day passed quickly, and she survived it. More, she lived it. Julianna began to believe she might actually heal this time.

The second day, she and Richie spent talking and arguing and laughing and crying with each other. She still didn’t bring up Mark’s call, and started to think (or to try to convince herself) that she imagined the whole thing. The pair never left the apartment, and were together all day, but Richie felt that they seemed to have lost some of the togetherness, the closeness they had shared. Julianna still wouldn’t touch him, and stiffened when he gathered her into his arms to comfort her. It was killing him to not be able to help her, but he kept his promises and gave her the space she needed to work things out for herself.

The third day, yesterday, when she came out of the shower, Julianna heard Richie playing his guitar softly in the living room. When she went to investigate, and he saw her watching him, Richie started to sing, and the song he had chosen had her in tears.

When you're afraid and it feels like you're too tired to fight
Even your heart don't know if you're still alive
Jules, you never felt so all alone in this world tonight
And I, don't you know that I felt the same?
I've seen this storm, I've been through the rain
You've gotta know that I feel your pain. Don't be afraid

When you're on the edge, I will rescue you
When you need a friend, I'll be there for you

I'm nobody's hero – But for you I'd lay down my life
Nobody's hero – But I'd tear down the stars from the sky
If you would lean on me, baby, dream on me
You can bleed on me, just believe in me
Nobody's hero


Julianna had crossed the room to sit by Richie, and took his hand when he was through. Richie held his breath. She hadn’t yet reached for him in the days he had been with her. Even in sleep she stayed away from him. She kissed each of his fingers, then his palm, and looked deep into his soft, brown eyes. She decided in that moment that she would handle Mark on her own. She would spare this beautiful, wonderful man from dealing with that snake. “Thank you,” Julianna said, “for everything. I love you.”

Richie was so happy at this contact, the first she’d initiated in days that he thought he was going to cry. “I love you, too, Julianna.”

* * * * *

Today was Wednesday, and she was expected at Francesca’s for dinner. To not go would only invite questions she simply didn’t want to answer. She also wanted to pack properly for her stay in the city. Richie, too, needed his things; he was going to stay with her in Manhattan for a while. They’d go to the dinner and spend a few days together at the cottage before heading back to the city. Julianna was apprehensive about tonight. She was hopeful that her parents still didn’t know anything of what was going on, but was also pretty sure that either her grandmother or her brothers would soon spill the beans. Either that or her mother would take one look at her and just know.

Jon and the guys had taken the Humvee back to Connecticut on Sunday night, so Julianna was driving them back in her car. They were mostly quiet the long ride back; each lost in thought. Julianna looked out of the corner of her eye at the man next to her. For the past few days, Richie was true to his word, and let Julianna decide when to talk and when to stay silent. He had always been around, but was never hovering. Julianna smiled to herself; she knew that last wasn’t easy for him to do. Every day, she had woken up with Richie to words of love, and every night, she had fallen asleep the same way. Her heart and soul were being soothed just by being in his presence.

Richie turned now to look at Julianna. She already looked better. She had her color back, and her appetite had returned somewhat since the night that Jon and the boys had stopped by with Chinese takeout. The five of them had talked and laughed for hours, totally relaxing the both of them. He really couldn’t ask for a better group of men to call his brothers. Richie reached over and took Julianna’s hand. She didn’t pull away.

They made good time, and were back late in the morning. Julianna drove Richie around to the house and turned off the car. Richie invited Julianna up to the house for lunch. She stared at him for a minute, deciding if there was some sort of hidden taunt in his suggestion. Seeing none, she shrugged, bound and determined to try. “Sure,” she said. “Just don’t disappear into the shower without me this time.”

Richie laughed and winked. “I wouldn’t think of it. One thing about me, I learn from my mistakes pretty quickly.”

“What’s for lunch?”

“Dunno -- whatever we can find in the kitchen, I guess.” He smiled at Julianna. “Was the kitchen a gourmet’s haven when you lived here?”

Julianna just stared at him, and seeing he was teasing, took her mother’s best diva tone. “Do you not know the people I come from? What do you think?” She rolled her eyes at him, feeling the playfulness they had shared enveloping her once again, comforting her like her favorite cashmere sweater.

“Yes, I know,” he said, thrilled to have her joking with him again. “I was just checking to see if your sass was back.”

“Baby, my sass never left,” she replied. “I just buried it for a while.” She thought a minute and smiled. “You just helped me dig my sass out of my ass.”

Richie groaned. “God, cut that out. Jon hears you say that, and he’ll call you Sassy Ass until the day you die. He just loves taunts that rhyme. Who do you think ‘King of Swing’ came from?”

Julianna burst out laughing, and flung her arms around Richie’s neck, taking him by surprise. Julianna had been keeping him at arm’s length for the past few days, presumably while she worked through her shit. Taking advantage of the moment, Richie kissed her gently. Julianna groaned and deepened the kiss, holding Richie tighter. Thank God, Richie thought. A knock at the window startled them. It was Jon, grinning broadly.

“Hey you two,” he said, once Richie rolled down his window. “I was gonna wait and see if you could do it in that little sports car, but, damn it, I’m hungry. Rich, you bitch, come and cook for me.”

Julianna laughed, gathered her things, and got out of the car. “I see what you mean with the rhyming thing, Rich.” Richie joined her in her laughter as he too exited the car.

Jon looked puzzled. “What the hell are you two talking about?”

“Nothing,” Julianna and Richie said in unison, making them laugh harder.

“Whatever,” Jon said. “Just please, come in and make lunch; I’m begging you, man. One more day of takeout or PB and J, and I’ll never fit into my tight jeans anymore.”

“Well,” Julianna said, giggling, “that would surely be a crime against womanhood, if not humanity.” She looked at Richie with a serious look in her face, but a twinkle in her eye. “I will not be responsible for giving Jon a saggy, baggy flabby ass.”

Richie burst out laughing again. “You’re right. Let’s go make Mr. Lyric here something good for lunch.”

“You guys are weird,” Jon said.

4 comments:

Queenie said...

“I will not be responsible for giving Jon a saggy, baggy flabby ass.”

I laughed right out loud at that. OMG! Too funny.

Seriously though, I was glad to see that Julianna is working her way back and that she is not shoving Richie away. Don't like that she didn't tell Richie about Mark's call though. Not good.

Great job Jen!!!

Starr said...

I enjoyed this Jen! Yes it seems that Julianna is bouncing back perfectly. I am so relieved. She is opening up to Richie which is great but yeah I agree with Steph. I think she should have told him about that bastard Mark calling. I just know he is not out of the picture yet...

Good work lady and look I forward to your next chapter! :)

Anonymous said...

“You guys are weird,” Jon said.

Somehow I found that extremely funny.
I guess I'm weird as well.

Julianna's not out of the woods yet, but is on the right path, with sweet dear Richie's help!

Anonymous said...

"Jon hears you say that, and he’ll call you Sassy Ass until the day you die. He just loves taunts that rhyme."

"I will not be responsible for giving Jon a saggy, baggy flabby ass."

Wow, those two comments! I just can not stop laughing at them!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad Julianna's starting to come around. Your writing is sooo real! I really feel for Richie, Julianna and Jon; the other characters too(Dave is funny), but those three, WOW! In just a few days, I've gotten this far, and can't wait to finish the whole thing and see how it all turns out!!! You really should make this into a movie, lol!!!!!