Chapter 40: Lie To Me



After a cozy breakfast and invigorating shower, Richie and Julianna were sitting close together on Julianna’s back deck, guitars in hand, singing another of the songs she had selected for the show as a warm-up. They were waiting for the others to arrive so they could go to work. They were playing and singing softly through the first verse and chorus. Richie liked the small musical changes that were made to help song better fit into the show. This song was in the second act, when Gina was talking about leaving Tommy because she thought she was holding him back. These were Tommy’s words to her as she was storming around their apartment packing.

In the second verse, Richie sang, with Julianna harmonizing, being Gina answering her love.

Pour another cup of coffee, babe, I got something to say to you
(I don’t wanna cry no more)
Well I ain’t got the winning ticket, not the one that’s gonna pull us through
(I don’t wanna die no more)
No one said that it’d be easy let your old man take you home
But know if you walk out on me then darling I’d be gone.


At the chorus this time, their voices rose together loudly, full of the love and heartbreak of their characters, blending beautifully.

If you don’t love me, lie to me
‘Cause baby you’re the one thing I believe
Let it all fall down around us, if that’s what’s meant to be
Right now, if you can’t love me baby, lie to me


Richie played his solo, then traded the lines of the bridge with Julianna.

It’s a bitch; yeah life’s a roller coaster ride
The ups and downs will make you scream sometimes
It’s hard believing that the thrill is gone
But we gotta go around again, so let’s hold on


They sang through the chorus again together, this time playing as loudly as they could on their acoustics, voices crackling with passion and emotion. When they finished, Richie and Julianna looked at each other for a long moment, not speaking. Then slowly, they put their guitars down and leaned into each other for a soft kiss.

Julianna smiled, twining her fingers into Richie’s soft, dark hair. “Damn, baby, you guys sure do know how to write. That’s gotta be one of my all-time favorite songs.” She sighed and let the locks slip through her fingers. “The music is beautiful, and the words are so bittersweet. I love the genius of the layout of that particular album. Even the titles of the songs – the way they’re laid out tells a tale. Hell, I could have just used the songs from ‘These Days’ as the show. You guys are such great story tellers; it’s no wonder you’ve been able to do what you do for so long.” She kissed him again, scooting into his lap, and wrapping her arms around his neck. “It’s just amazing.”

“Thank you,” Jon called from the back of the yard. He and the others had come through the gate, but had stopped when they heard Richie and Julianna playing. “What amazes me sometimes is that we haven’t gotten at each other’s throats enough to call it quits.”

“That’s not surprising at all, actually,” Julianna countered. She squeezed Richie’s shoulder and squirmed a little in his lap before climbing off of him and descending to the yard to greet her new friends with hugs. “What you guys have is a family. You all love each other, respect each other, and would do whatever any of the others needed. I’m sure you fight. Hell, my brothers nearly beat each other to death when they were kids.” Julianna laughed at a memory, and continued. “But, they always loved each other, and now, they would literally lay down their lives for each other. In the short time I’ve known you all, I see that brotherhood, that unspoken devotion.” She put her hands to her heart dramatically. “It’s a beautiful thing,” she said on a sigh.

Tico grinned at her. “I’ll tell you what I think is a beautiful thing. What’s beautiful is the way you play and sing so well with Rich. It’s like you two were made to sing together. Your voices and talent complement each other.” He slung an arm around her shoulder, pulling her in close. “Little sister, you are surely one of us now.”

Julianna kissed his cheek, looping an arm around his waist and squeezing. “I don’t know about that, brother dear; but you’re very sweet to say so.”

Dave looked stricken. “I thought I was the sweet one?”

Julianna laughed, and motioned him over to her, since Tico wouldn’t let go of her shoulder. Dave obliged, and Julianna gave him a peck on the cheek, and wrapped her other arm around his waist. “You’ll always be the sweet one in my heart,” she said.

Dave shot a triumphant look at his friend. Tico flipped him off.

“If the mutual admiration society meeting is over,” Richie called from the porch, “perhaps we can get to work?” Tico and Dave took in the possessive look on their friend’s face, and released Julianna.

“Jesus, man,” Jon said. “I’m usually the one who’s bitchy about working. But, you’re right. We’ve got a long day ahead of us, and may as well get started.” He smiled endearingly and offered his arm to Julianna. “Shall we?”

Richie jumped down from the porch, and playfully pushed Jon out of the way. “Quit trying to make time with my lady,” he said; the sparkle in his eyes taking the sting from his words. “The whole lot of you.”

“Now, boys,” Julianna said, in a stern tone. “There’ll be no fighting over me. I’m woman enough to take on all of you.” She gave them all slow once-overs. “Either together or separately. But,” she said, smiling at the collective gasp her comment evoked, “I’ve made my choice, and I’m sticking with it.” She licked Richie’s neck to his earlobe, which she bit gently. Winking at the others, she turned and strutted away, hips swaying in an exaggerated model’s walk. “Coming, boys?” she tossed back over her shoulder, emphasizing the first word.

“Jesus, I think I’m in love,” Dave said, watching her walk away.

“Get in line,” Richie muttered under his breath, so nobody would hear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you I love this story - it has it all. I love the way you convey all the emotions so beautifully. Everytime I come to the end of the most recent chapter I find myself screaming for MORE (hint, hint) :)
rutpop/Chris

Starr said...

Ahhh the undeniable power of women over the male sex. They can make men tremble and fall at their feet.

I loved this one! A wonderful plethora of emotions. Beautifully written Jennifer!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Queenie said...

Jen this was wonderful. I absolutely love that song too. Could you imagine if they actually made a musical like this. I would be first in line to buy a ticket that's for sure.

Love the interaction between all of them, especially how the guys have taken Julianna into the "inner circle." Keep it coming.